Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday night fun: The two greatest Broadway songs about money

Sometimes people ask me, "Defending, how do you know so much random stuff?" For example, how do I know the two greatest Broadway songs about money? I just do. It is part of the burden of being me.

The first is "How can love survive?" from The Sound of Music, a duet between Uncle Max and Elsa (the evil Baroness) about the insincerity of love between rich people. It is hysterical, and was inexplicably cut from the sorry excuse of a movie that followed some years later. Give it a listen and tell me I'm wrong.

The second greatest Broadway song about money -- capitalism and banking, really -- is -- obviously -- "Fidelity Fiduciary Bank" from Mary Poppins. It explains merchant banking, fractional reserve banking, imperialism, and the importance of sound money to any great power.

And, no, "Money" from Cabaret does not make the cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics